The VERBUND strategy
Our planet’s wellbeing is very important to VERBUND. With our strategy “With our power to a green future”, we want to meet not only our economic, but also our social responsibility as Austria’s leading energy company.
The coming years will be decisive for the climate transition. Our planet’s wellbeing is very important to VERBUND. With our vision “With our power to a green future”, we want to meet not only our economic, but also our social responsibility as Austria’s leading energy company.
With this in mind and the massive changes taking place in the energy sector, VERBUND is focusing on three strategic directions – strengthening the integrated domestic market, expanding renewables in Europe, and positioning itself as a European hydrogen player.
1. Strengthening the integrated domestic market
Strengthening our position as an integrated supplier and leading hydropower generator and partner for decarbonisation in Austria and Germany by:
- Expanding our position as a leading and efficient hydropower generator
- Expanding the stable electricity and gas infrastructure and making an important contribution to the security of supply through the provision of balancing and control energy
- Developing customer-orientated solutions in the area of electromobility, battery storage and photovoltaics
2. Expanding renewables in Europe
Significant expansion of wind and photovoltaic systems in Europe for technological and geographical risk diversification and securing potentially attractive returns (target: share in total generation of 20-25% by 2030) through:
- Structured M&A and partnerships in established markets
- Focus on in-house development in Eastern Europe
3. Positioning as a European hydrogen player
Green hydrogen is the key to the energy transition and decarbonisation and a future field that VERBUND relies on:
- Deepening existing customer relationships with leading industrial companies in local production of hydrogen.
- Medium-term expansion of the value chain for international hydrogen generation, marketing and the transport as well as import of green hydrogen to Central Europe