At the beginning of energy2050, the host, VERBUND Chairman of the Board Wolfgang Anzengruber, wished for a new courageous and optimistic spirit for the energy industry: "We need a New Deal! The energy marketplace is regrouping in a way marked by costumer focus and an entrepreneurial spirit. Climate protection is a priority, and a market economy is the basis of operation for a functioning system. The time is now for bold changes that we implement together."
The world of energy in 2050
"It was a colourful conference," Anzengruber put it. Here are some of the most exciting messages from energy2050 in a nutshell – afterthoughts can be found in the VERBUND blog "flow": http://www.verbund.com/bg/de/blog
• 1.1 billion people worldwide currently have no access to energy – and even by the year 2050, 300 million people will still be suffering from fuel poverty.
• Renewable energies will still not be able to cover 100% of global energy demand by 2050, although this could possibly be achieved by the end of the century.
• Worldwide energy demand will double in the next 25 years.
• Climate protection remains the highest priority: A CO2 system that changes the purchasing behaviour of consumers could be the solution.
• In 2050, energy will be smart instead of stupid: digitalisation allows for new business models. For this, the intelligent and responsible use of data is a pre-requisite.
• The turnaround in energy policy is also a turnaround in capital.
• The New Deal for the future of energy requires new partnerships.
Startups and the next generation
Energy-related startups were introduced in the scope of energy2050: Five young entrepreneurs presented their product ideas and energy solutions and faced an audience vote. Victor and winner of the € 25,000 Grand Prize was Eologix, a startup from Graz that supplies sensor solutions for wind turbine rotor blades.
The next generation of energy experts also provided innovative input: In advance of energy2050, the marketplace of the future was built over the course of a two-day "energyLAB" in a joint effort with all stakeholders. What does it look like? Click here for the "Energy Marketplace of the Future" video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjZ8qvWDEB4
VERBUND is preparing itself intensively for this future energy marketplace:
"100% focus on renewable energies in electricity production is our middle-term goal," underlined Wolfgang Anzengruber. "Hydropower is our central production asset. As the core of our renewable family, hydropower will also be the foundation for our future successes." Storage solutions as well as stable grids that "continue to connect" are further supporting pillars. A "New Deal" also means new partnerships and alliances: "We want to be a platform for the future of energy and, with an entrepreneurial spirit, find success at the energy marketplace of the future."
Photos at https://www.verbund.com/cc/de/news-presse/mediathek