Edling Run-of-River Power Plant

VERBUND’s Edling power plant is a run-of-river power plant on River Drau in the municipality of Völkermarkt, Carinthia.

Man in the kitchen

90,616 households

supplies the Edling power plant

Highlight

European nature reserve

since 2005

* Source: ENTSO-E Production 2017

The VERBUND power plant Edling is a run-of-river power plant on the Drava in the municipality of Völkermarkt in Carinthia. It was built between 1959 and 1962 with the financial involvement of KELAG. Two Kaplan turbines generate an annual average of approx. 402 GWh of electricity.

An 18 hectare shallow water biotope was created near Neudenstein on the Völkermarkt reservoir between 1989 and 1991 – it was declared a European nature reserve in 2005.
 

Image from the Location

Owner VERBUND Hydro Power GmbH
Operator VERBUND Hydro Power GmbH
Commissioning 1962
Type Run-of-river power plant
Country Austria
Region Carinthia
Waters Drava
Output 87 MW
Annual output 401,924 MWh
Turbine Kaplan
Connectivity Fish bypass is in the planning process
Aerial photo of the slot passes of the Edling fish bypass

Fish bypass Edling opened

Fish bypass: Fish can swim around the power plant on the Drava and into the Völkermarkt reservoir through a sequence of 148 basins. From the European bullhead to the pike, fish can overcome a difference in height of more than 22 metres via 148 individual standard basins, 24 resting pools as well as a distribution structure with eleven exit openings.
To the press release

Turbines and generators: Two Kaplan turbines with six impeller blades and a diameter of 5.6 metres produce a total output of 27 MW. The two coupled 45 MVA three-phase synchronous generators have a maximum output of 87,000 kW and are air/water cooled by a heat exchanger.

Transformers: The connection between the power plant and the open-air switchgear is made by two 45 MVA main transformers. The convert the generated energy from 10 kV to 220 kV, which is then conducted to the Obersielach substation. The plant additionally has two 630 kVA transformers for its own needs and a 3 MVA regulating transformer for supplying energy to the pumping stations.

Weir system: Three weir fields with a clear width of 15.04 metres each are designed as welded pressure segment barriers and weir gates, which together have a closure height of 17 metres. Control is via lifting chains, the drive via winches in the adjacent buttresses

Pumping stations: Four pumping stations with a total of eleven boom pumps with vertical shafts and directly mounted drive motors control the water management systems in the polder areas. The stations are controlled automatically by simple float switches, with the activation and deactivation being reported to the power plant control room via a remote communication system.

The Edling power plant was built between 1959 and 1962 and co-financed by KELAG.