Braunau-Simbach Run-of-River Plant

VERBUND’s Braunau Simbach power plant is a run-of-river power plant on River Inn, situated in the municipalities of Ranshofen (Upper Austria) and Kirchdorf am Inn (Bavaria).

*Source: ENTSO-E Production 2017

The Braunau-Simbach power plant was built between 1951 and 1954. Construction actually commenced in 1943, but was not completed due to a shortage of materials caused by the war. Work then continued in 1951. Today, four vertical Kaplan turbines generate an average of about 550 GWh of electricity annually.
 
Turbines and generators: Four Kaplan turbines with vertical shaft and a maximum output of 100.0 MW are the heart of the power plant. The four directly coupled three-phase synchronous generators have a nominal output of 35 MVA.

Transformers: The electricity generated is raised from 10.5 kV to 110 kV by means of four high-voltage main transformers and fed into the grid via the open-air switchgear at two 110 k lines on the Austrian side and two on the Bavarian side. The supply of the plant’s own energy needs and that of the four pumping stations in the reservoir area is guaranteed by a 1,250 kVA own-energy transformer.

Weir system: Five weir fields with a clear width of 23 metres each and 6 metre-wide piers are equipped with double hook gates with a closing height of 13.7 metres each. The power plant belongs to the “border power plants” group, which is noted for its geographical location on the rivers Inn and Danube, where they form the border between Austria and Bavaria.