Pernegg power plant, built between 1925 and 1927, is a diversion power plant on the Mur river. For more than 80 years, the power plant reliably supplied renewable electricity from hydropower until its renovation in 2010.
The generating water flows through the 2.3 km-long diversion channel to the Pernegg powerhouse. Since the modernisation of the plant between 2010 and 2013, the powerhouse has contained three sets of machinery with vertical shafts and a total bottleneck capacity of 25.5 MW. Each set consists of a Kaplan turbine and a three-phase synchronous generator. There is no other power plant on the Mur river in Styria with three Kaplan turbines, making Pernegg the power plant with the highest generation capacity on this waterway. Another Kaplan bevel gear turbine was installed next to the weir in 1996 to utilise the residual water volume to be discharged. A total of approx. 119 GWh of electricity is generated every year in this way.