VERBUND’s Egglfing-Obernberg power plant is a run-of-river power plant on River Inn situated in the municipality areas of Bad Füssing (Bavaria) and Obernberg (Upper Austria).
The Egglfing-Obernberg, Ering-Frauenstein and Braunau-Simbach power plants were built during the Second World War. This is still evident today, which is why there are precautions for mine defence. Despite the difficult conditions during the construction of these power plants, they are currently important suppliers of the Bavaria and Upper Austria region with electricity generated entirely from hydropower.
LIFE Riverscape Lower Inn
Continuity and habitat at the Egglfing-Obernberg power plant are part of a large-scale project that is also a component of the EU-LIFE project “LIFE Riverscape Lower Inn”. In the current project – as has already happened at the Ering-Frauenstein power plant – the goal is not only to improve continuity but also to create habitat. An attractive habitat for (aquatic) lifeforms in all stages of development makes a lasting contribution to boosting populations and ecological value.
An upgrade of the power plant and the construction of a fish bypass are planned in the coming years.
The headwater area of the Egglfing-Obernberg power plant extends over a length of 12.7 km. On the Bavarian side, this area above the power plant is secured with a 10.5 km-long embankment. On the Upper Austrian side, the embankment has a length of 7.5 km.
The Egglfing-Obernberg power plant was built between 1941 and 1951. During construction, the power plant fell partly into Allied hands and was not completed until after the end of the war.
Powerhouse: The low-profile powerhouse without machine hall accommodates six Kaplan turbines with an average annual production of around 485 GWh.
Weir: The five weir fields each have a clear width of 23.5 metres and are 13.5 metres high. The weir system was renovated in 2000.