Hieflau-Erzbach Run-of-River Power Plant

VERBUND power plant Hieflau-Erzbach is a run-of-river power plant situated on the Erzbach and in the municipality of Hieflau in Styria. It was built between 1953 and 1956 by Steirische Wasserkraft- und Elektrizitäts-AG.

History of the Power Plant 

The Hieflau-Erzbach power plant was built at the same time as the neighbouring Hieflau power plant. 
After construction began in 1953, a bed load canal was constructed up to April 1954 and the Erzbach was diverted. Excavation for the power house building pit started in May, and the concrete work started in September. The Hieflau-Erzbach machine, which was managed as Machine IV of the Hieflau power plant, was started up in January 1956. It was originally used for the house load power supply. 

Today, the small power plant feeds energy into the 30 kV grid of STEWAG. A generator was replaced in 1989, and in 1997 the bed load canal was renewed and new hydraulics protection was installed. Further rehabilitation of the bed load canal was required in 2002. In 2005, the screen cleaning system, which was installed in 1982, had to be replaced. The weir system was expanded in 2006 to include a floating debris flap on the left edge of the wooden weir.

Technical data:

Owner: VERBUND Hydro Power GmbH
Operating company: VERBUND Hydro Power GmbH
Beginning of operation: 1956
Type:  Run-of-river
Country. State: Austria, Styria
Waters: Erzbach
Capacity: 1 MW
Annual generation: 1.032 MWh
Turbines: Kaplan
Fish bypass: in the planning process