Edling Run-of-River Power Plant

VERBUND’s Edling power plant is a run-of-river power plant on River Drau in the municipality of Völkermarkt, Carinthia.

Technical Description 

The Edling power plant was built between 1959 and 1962 and was co-financed by KELAG. The first plans for the power plant in this location go back all the way to 1954. Two Kaplan turbines generate an average annual output of around 407 GWh. From 1989 to 1991, an 18 hectare shallow water habitat at Neudenstein was created and was declared a nature reserve in 2005.

Technical data:

Owner: VERBUND Hydro Power GmbH
Operating company: VERBUND Hydro Power GmbH                                 
Beginning of operation: 1962
Type:  Run-of-river
Country, State: Austria, Carinthia
Waters: Drau
Capacity: 87 MW
Annual generation: 401.924 MWh
Turbines: Kaplan (2)
Fish Bypass: in the planning process

Cross-sections of the power plant:

Cross-section of the Edling run-of-river power plant
Cross-section of the weir field at the Edling power plant